Monday, October 30, 2006

resources I've used so far

Here are some resources that I am using to try to learn about this topic:

Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy (details forthcoming)
Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy (details forthcoming)

While standing in the philosophy section of Barnes and Noble, I was looking through these volumes. I bought these to update my library and found myself following the "links"and reading scores of articles about the terms, times and people of postmodernism, my journey began in earnest. And while I like to visit Cambridge more that Oxford each spring, I like the Oxford dictionary better.

"Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy" (on line)
When you print this article on postmodernism, it is fifteen pages long, so don't kill too many trees (did I really just write that?) I have not, to be honest read the article word for word. But in scanning it I saw many of the same points, yet in more detail than in my earlier reading, as the dictionaries. The click to the article pays of with the first sentence.

"Postmodernity and Theology" in Christian Theology by Millard Erikson, Baker, 2nd Ed. 1997
This is the second edition of the text I used (1st ed.) in seminary and have used over and again. When Laci asked me to get it for him last year, I noticed the new chapter on postmodernity. I recently read this chapter and found it helpful as Erickson gives a thorough but concise survey of modernism which is really essential to understand that which postmodernism is against, anti, after...

"The Vanished Horizion" in The Universe Next Door by James Sire, IVP, 1997
After having read several pieces, I was ready for this. Sire is thick and puts a lot on a page. But he presents the material in such a way that one can see the progression from what was to what is now. Some of his arguments at the end of the chapter seem a bit pat, but... they seem to work too... very helpful to me in synthesizing much of the material I had already read.

The Last Word by N. T. Wright, HarperSanFrancisco 2005
Since authority and knowledge and truth are such important topics in this realm of inquiry, I suggest the follower of Christ read this book. Wright gives an interesting perspective on the authority of Scripture and how it must be understood in context of both the time it was written and the time it is read.

Paul by N. T. Wright, Fortress Press, Mineapolis, 2005
Apparantly to some, this is a controversial volume, but I've thought it helpful, there is just a little within that is applicable to this conversation in "Jesus, paul and the Task of the Church" where Wright draws us a picture of how the church should act and work in the face of the changing culture?

No comments: